Chameleon collects some default data to help you analyze tours. This data can be exported as a CSV or automatically sent to your analytics provider (via our integrations) or API. We also present some reporting to help you identify drop-off along steps in your tour.
Chameleon will automatically collect data about tours you have live. Events that are collected include:
- Started Tour (Chameleon) - if an end user sees the first step of a tour
- Completed Tour (Chameleon) - if an end user completes the last step of a tour (e.g. by clicking the button)
- Exited Tour (Chameleon) - when an end user clicks the dismiss cross in a step (except in the last step of the tour, when it is counted as a tour completion)
- Previewed Tour (Chameleon) - when an admin user previews a tour
- Converted Tour (Chameleon) - when a conversion event attached to a tour is triggered after the tour is started. See more about conversion / goals below.
- Step Seen (Chameleon) - when a user views a step within a tour
In addition we send event properties, including the following:
- tour_name is the name of the tour (as defined within the Editor)
- url is the URL on which an event occurred (e.g. the URL of the first step of the tour for the Started Tour event)
- step_name is the name of the step - sent for Exited Tour events
- tour_duration is the time in seconds between the Started Tour and Completed Tour / Exited Tourevents (sent only for the latter events)
- Browser, City, Country and other browser based properties
uid (required as part of implementing the Chameleon code snippet) to all these events, so you can track users in the same way.
Understanding your data within Chameleon
You can view your overall tour stats in your dashboard. You can which tours are live; their started / completed stats; review the different tours targeted at a particular segment; and see which tours haven't been started recently (an indication that there may be something wrong).
Chameleon also provides funnel reporting for individual tours, to identify drop-off across steps within the tour and help you improve completion.
This report lets you assess:
- Total number of users that started and completed your tour in the selected timeframe
- Number and proportion of users (relative to users that started tour) that have seen and dropped-off at each step
You can filter this data based on date range and click into any step to edit it.
Adding a goal (conversion event)
You can now add a goal to each tour, to assess whether your tours are successful in achieving your product objectives.
Goals can either be defined from within Chameleon (as a page load or click) or taken from any of the events being sent to Chameleon (via Segment / our API).
To do this go into the Analytics view for a Tour and click 'Add Conversion Event' to select an event from the dropdown list.
Note: This feature is only available to Customized / Advanced plans and not Standard plans. To learn more or change your plans, please contact us.
Changing step order
If you change step order or delete steps after publishing then we will only include users that proceeded according to the updated order. This may suggest lower completion than before the change. You can either revert your step order or download all your data via our API to analyze in more depth.
Viewing your data in your analytics tool
We highly encourage you to use a specialist analytics provider to analyze your product data. We integrate with common providers (see below) which you can use to track your native product events alongside Chameleon events. Doing so allows you to holistically evaluate the impact of tours on other user actions.
To learn more about how Chameleon works with these tools, see our Integrations User Guides: