Note: Launchers are currently only available in Beta. Please email us if you're interested in access.
Creating a Launcher
You can create and manage your Launchers from the Chameleon Editor by clicking the Launchers icon.
Once you open the Launchers section, and hit 'New Launcher' then you will see option for pre-configured templates, for common use cases. You can hover over these templates to see a preview of the Launcher on the right-hand side before picking one.
Once you've selected your template, your Launcher is created, and you'll see the Launcher View in the Sidebar. You'll notice there are a few different sections:
- Configure -- set the styling and interaction behavior for the Launcher
- Tours -- decide which tours should be within this Launcher
- Who should see this? -- set which users should see this
- Available on -- set any domains to blacklist from showing the Launcher
Configuring styling and interaction
Once you click "Configure" you'll be moved into the Chameleon Launcher Editor (topbar) where you'll see all the configuration options.
The two tabs available at the top are for the 'Widget' and the 'Menu'
The Widget is the target which will open the Menu (the window that contains the list of tours). You can set the following configuration for this:
- Trigger: whether a user needs to click or hover over the target to open the Menu
- Widget Type / Target: you can choose a default icon, upload your own, set custom text or select an existing element on your page, to open the Menu
- Position: this is available if you use an icon for the Widget. If you choose an 'Element on page' then there is no positioning needed.
- Axis adjustment: you can manually adjust the position of the icon, by using px or % values
- Colors: if you selected an icon then you can change the colors for this
Note: you can also use our Launchers API to trigger the opening of the Menu without the need for a widget at all.
The Menu contains your list of tours, and other components, such as the Search bar. You can configure the following things:
- Content: you can click into the Menu title to directly edit the Header copy
- Widget and Height: you can set the width and maximum height for the Menu window. The window height will resize to fit the number of tours displayed until the maximum is reached.
- Colors: for the background and text
- Checklist: you can choose to show checkmarks adjacent to Tours once they have been completed
- Search: you can decide whether to show the Search bar in the Menu or not. This is great if you have a lot of Tours. The Search will return matches for any content (Tour title, Step body text etc.).
Navigating and Preview
Once you have adjusted your styling and interaction behavior, you can click 'Preview' in the top-right side of the Topbar to view how the Launcher will behave for users.
Note: if you click into a Tour from the Launcher Menu then you will enter the Preview for that Tour. If you then click 'Edit' you will have the choice to edit that Tour or return to editing the Launcher.
The Tours you have created with Chameleon will appear in the 'Tours showing in Launcher' section. Only Tours that are Live can be selected to be included in the Launcher.
Note for Tours with dynamic, partial or wildcard URL matching
if the first step of a Tour is configured with a partial or dynamic URL match (e.g. using a regex or wildcard) then the 'Additional Sharing Options' (available at the bottom of the Tour View) for that Tour need to be configured before that Tour can be selected here.
If the 'Copy tour link' button is disabled, then please fill in the first field 'Define a URL..".
In this section, you can also define the display name and display subtitle for the Tour within the Launcher. This helps you separate the title of the Tour, which can be used for internal organization and the display text.
You can select which users should see this Launcher, by creating a segment of users, based on data about them, including attributes, events, Tour interaction etc.
This follows the same pattern as creating a target audience for a tour, and you will see the same segments in this list as you do in the Target Audience section for any Tour.
Learn more about how to create a target audience here.
Availability by Domain
You can choose to avoid showing the Launcher on certain domains. This can be useful if you have different staging and production domains, or you want to not show the Launcher on a marketing site etc.
The Launcher will only go live after you hit "Activate" in the 'Review and activate' section. Once activated, you can deactivate the Launcher from this section also.
No engineering or coding is required, as the Launcher will use your existing Chameleon installation.