Understanding your data within Chameleon
You can view your overall Experiences' stats in your Dashboard. Each Experience type offers different metrics.
With Tours -- for example -- you can know which are live; their started/completed stats; review the different Tours targeted at a particular Segment, and see which Tours haven't been started recently (an indication that there might be something wrong).
Chameleon also provides funnel reporting for individual Tours, to identify drop-off across steps within the Tour and help you improve completion rate.
This report lets you assess:
- Total number of users that started and completed your Tour in the selected timeframe
- Number and proportion of users (relative to users that started the Tour) that have seen and dropped-off at each step
You can filter this data based on the date range and click into any step to edit it.
Chameleon will automatically collect data about the Experiences you have live. This data includes events and properties, and all of these have a
uid attached, so you can track and associate these with users.
For example, the data collected for Tours include events such as:
- Started Tour: if an end-user sees the first step of a tour
- Completed Tour: if an end-user completes the last step of a tour (e.g. by clicking the button)
- Exited Tour: when an end-user clicks the dismiss cross in a step (except in the last step of the tour, when it is counted as a tour completion)
- Previewed Tour: when an admin user previews a tour
- Converted Tour: when a conversion event attached to a tour is triggered after the tour is started. See more about the conversion/goals below.
- Step Seen: when a user views a step within a tour
In addition, it includes properties such as:
- tour_name: the name of the tour (as defined within the Editor)
- url: the URL on which an event occurred (e.g. the URL of the first step of the tour for the Started Tour event)
- step_name: the name of the step - sent for Exited Tour events
- tour_duration: the time in seconds between the Started Tour and Completed Tour / Exited Tour events (sent only for the latter events)
- Browser, City, Country, and other browser-based properties
For full details of all Chameleon data collected, use our schema Google Sheet:
Adding a goal (conversion event)
You can add a goal to each Tour, to assess whether your Tours are successful in achieving your product objectives.
Goals can either be defined from within Chameleon (as a page load or click) or taken from any of the events being sent to Chameleon (via Segment or our API).
Note: This feature is only available on the Growth Plan. To learn more or change your plans, please contact us.
Viewing your data in your analytics tool
We highly encourage you to use a specialist analytics provider to analyze your product data. We integrate with common providers which you can use to track your native product events alongside Chameleon events. Doing so allows you to holistically evaluate the impact of tours on other user actions.
We also recommend using Segment to streamline your analytics tracking and have greater control of your data pipeline.
To learn more about how Chameleon works with these tools, see our Integrations User Guides:
Viewing data in your database / BI tool
You can also add the data that Chameleon automatically collects directly into your database and then query this data alongside all your other product data.
To do this, simply use our open API to send Chameleon data to your database or other tools.